Website Smithville Christian Church
Senior Minister Job Bloomington, Indiana
Smithville Christian Church Senior Minister Job Bloomington, Indiana
Overview: Located just minutes south of Bloomington, Indiana, Smithville Christian Church (SCC) is “The Welcome Place,” Welcoming Everyone to be Transformed by Jesus Christ! SCC’s Senior Minister has primary responsibility for preaching and teaching the Word of God, shepherding our Congregation, and reaching lost souls. He provides leadership and vision to the Body in partnership with the Elders, Deacons, Staff, Ministry Teams and Congregation.
This is a full-time (i.e., at least 40 hours per week) position.
- Is ordained or eligible to be ordained in the Christian Church? Possesses a bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field of ministry from an accredited institution.
- Shall place his membership with SCC upon acceptance of the Senior Minister position, as shall his wife (if married).
- Passionately embodies God’s Word and lives out the Gospel in his daily life. Leads by example. Exemplifies consistent spiritual, moral character and lifestyle.
- Is exceptionally strong in biblical and expository preaching.
- Shows a deep commitment to Christ and, as a servant-leader, has His heart for all people.
- As a baptized (immersed) believer, he fully understands, supports and promotes the scripture-based doctrine of the Restoration Movement.
- Gives 100% effort in executing his duties and responsibilities while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
- Excels in organization, leadership, administration and interpersonal relationships.
- Has a history of faithful Christian ministry experience of at least five years and proven leadership in an evangelistic Christian church. Desires to remain in a long-term (5-year minimum) ministry at SCC.
- He is sufficiently proficient with technology, enabling him to (among other things) develop audio-visual content to support his messages and relate to and participate in social media in a manner that promotes, engages, and encourages the Congregation and others receiving the Message.
Consistently delivers easily understood, Bible-based sermons that are engaging, relevant and challenge those who hear to develop or deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
Provides a focus on spiritual growth, discipleship, and Christian community.
Creates regular opportunities for people to respond to the message of Christ through strong, Bible-based, evangelistic/discipleship messages.
Communicates effectively. Possesses strong listening skills and clearly articulates the vision, mission, and strategies that will grow SCC spiritually.
Assists with the technology processes used to provide our services via the Internet.
Prepares preaching/worship schedules in advance, coordinates and plans with the Worship Leader(s) and Worship Ministry team to ensure that worship services are inspirational, uplifting and encouraging.
Sets aside specific time for study and preparation of the sermon weekly and makes time for planning annual retreats to plan upcoming sermon series.
B. Leadership/Leadership Development & Discipleship
Leads the Congregation by example and by Godly teaching.
In partnership with the Elders, Deacons, Staff, and Ministry Teams, implements the vision and mission of SCC.
Provides nurturing oversight to staff members and allows them the necessary flexibility to accomplish their responsibilities consistent with SCC’s objectives.
Works with Elders to maintain a compelling vision and acts as key implementation champion for SCC’s evangelistic strategies.
Meets regularly with the Elders to facilitate the work of the church.
Holds regularly scheduled staff meetings and provides coordination, direction, support and encouragement to all staff members.
Delegates responsibilities to staff members, providing explicit instruction and training where necessary and granting appropriate authority for them to successfully accomplish their tasks.
Actively encourages congregational commitment and volunteerism in support of our mission and vision.
Follows SCC’s Constitution and By-Laws. Shows respect for everyone and adheres to the decisions of the Elders.
C. Outreach/Community Engagement
Champions evangelism by inspiring, equipping, and motivating the Congregation to share the Gospel with all in our community and others within our spheres of influence.
Through outreach and ministry activities, seeks to reach the unchurched in the community using focused, innovative methods as appropriate.
Engages and works with other ministries and organizations to serve the community.
Spends intentional time in the community.
Equips and mobilizes the congregation in the role of evangelism and in the development of strategic outreach ministries and initiatives.
D. Congregation Relations/Pastoral Care
Has a relational connection to the Congregation and provides ongoing pastoral support and care of the Congregation in partnership with the Elders.
Prays for, serves, and provides spiritual leadership for the Congregation, Staff and Community.
Cares for the spiritual and physical life of the Congregation through supportive listening, conflict management, and referral to other professionals if needed.
Carries out hospital visitation and ministry to shut-ins in partnership with the Elders.
Conducts baptisms, premarital and marital counselling, weddings, and funerals.
Oversees SCC’s Wednesday night Meal & Study gatherings.
E. Professional Development/Personal Growth
Is a lifelong learner who continually grows spiritually and in the skills that enable him to serve God’s Kingdom better as he gains more experience.
Participates in and pursues leadership roles in organizations composed of Christian Leaders locally and nationwide.
In a desire to grow, actively seeks honest feedback and constructive criticism on a regular basis from the Elders, the Congregation and others.
Devotes time to spiritual, mental, and physical development and well-being through personal disciplines.
Attends courses, workshops, and conferences as appropriate.
Attends small groups as a participant and/or leads small groups.
Participates in continual self-evaluation as well as evaluation/feedback from the Elders annually.
Develops an annual execution plan, including staffing and other church needs, in cooperation with Elders.
Works within the administrative budget and maintains fiscal responsibility with SCC’s resources.
Job Type: Full-time
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bloomington, IN 47401: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Hospice care (Preferred)
- 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org