By faith, walk with God/ walk close to your God
|1Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
2For by it the people of old received their commendation.
3By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.
4By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks.
5By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was commended as having pleased God.
6And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
Read Genesis 5:1-24
- Enoch walked with God
- This made him noteworthy
- Not other stuff
- Same for us
- Enoch walked with God in a hellish culture
- 6:5 The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually, 6 and the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth and it grieved him to his heart
- We walk with God in a hellish culture
- How Did Enoch do it? (walk with God, please God?)
- By faith
- Same same
- 6 6And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
- Distinction between pleasing God, and being worthy of God.
- Distinction of your effort vs grace
- If your spirit is stirred because you want to wakl with God and please God, then good. God is beckoning you
What does it mean to walk with God and please God?
- To be close to Him
- James 4:1-10
- As a believer we have to fight to walk with God
- We have to choose to be near to God
- God will give us grace to do it
- To walk in the Spirit
- Galatians 5:16-25
- Spirit vs Flesh
- Keep Walking w/ God and Keep crucifying your flesh
- Picture of walking with God, walking in the spirit and detours
- To walk by His word
- Romans 10:17
- Our saving faith came by believing the words of Christ
- This is not a one time thing, if we are to continue walking with God, continue having faith in God, we must continue to hear the gospel
- Matthew 4:4 Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God
- To walk in worship
- Psalms 34:8 Oh, taste and see that 1the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
- He is the reward. To walk with Him is the reward. That reward is worthy of worship. That reward is worthy of a life lived in worship.
|6“With what shall I come before the LORD,
and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
7Will the LORD be pleased witha thousands of rams,
with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
8He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,b
and to walk humbly with your God?
-how close do you want to walk with God, perhaps he will take you.
-dont grow weary
-if falling back check the list
-first step is to do it by faith